Home
Latest News
Section Officers
Newsletters
Future Events
Past Events
Members Cars
Archived Newsletters
Articles
Home
Latest News
Section Officers
Newsletters
Future Events
Past Events
Members Cars
Archived Newsletters
Articles
Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts' Club
North Eastern Section Website
The Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts' Club North Eastern Section thanks you for visiting our Website
Navigation Buttons
Section Weekend at Headlam Hall Hotel 14th-16th Sept 2012
This years Section Weekend saw a return to Headlam Hall Hotel near Darlington in Co Durham. The weekend proceeding started with a nice cup of tea on arrival followed by an evening meal in the one of the hotels private dining rooms where much chatting and catching up with old friends took place.
On Saturday we visited Locomotion which is a railway museum in Shildon. The museum is a branch of the National Railway Museum, which is part of the National Museum of Science and Industry. Locomotion acts as an annex, with the most important exhibits on display in the NRM's headquarters at York, though exhibits are regularly rotated. The museum was built during 2004 and is based on the former "Timothy Hackworth Victorian Railway Museum". The Museum is sited near Timothy Hackworth's Soho Works on the Stockton and Darlington Railway opened 1825 with a train hauled by Locomotion No 1 which took 2 hours to complete the 12 mile journey from Shildon to Darlington.
On Sunday we drove over the Pennines for about 25 miles to visit Eggleston Hall where there has been a house on the site since the 1600ís when the Tobias Ewbank purchased the manor from John Child. The land had been forfeited by the last Earl of Westmoreland, who had been found guilty of high treason following the Rising of the North against Queen Elizabeth 1 in 1569. The gardens were well known even in the late seventeenth century when the Sanderson family owned Eggleston. Through marriage, the estate passed to the Hutchinson and it was William Hutchinson who financed the building of the present house from the proceeds of the lead mining industry in 1816. The design, by Ignatius Bonomi, is an early example of the then fashionable Greek revival style. The entrance lodges were also built in a similar style and the old church was modified.